Friday, June 17, 2011

Ghosts and Goblins....and a Wedding!

This past weekend Bailey experienced her first ride on an airplane. We went to St. Augustine, FL, for my good friend Natalie's wedding. Thankfully, everything at the airport and on the plane could not have gone more smoothly. Security was a breeze, and Bailey slept the entire time on the plane both going and coming back. I was afraid we were going to be THOSE people on an airplane with a baby, but she was so good. We actually flew into Jacksonville and then rented a car and drove down to St. Augustine (about 45-50 minutes).



Bailey and Daddy at the airport waiting to board a tram to take us to our terminal.

We hadn't even boarded the plane yet and she already had to have a bottle and a nap.




Having her bottle for the takeoff

Out again.

We had never been to St. Augustine before. It's really a neat little town. Thursday evening after we got settled at our hotel we were pretty hungry, so we drove over to downtown St. Augustine - what they call "old town" - and found a good place to eat right on the bay called Santa Maria's. We sat outside overlooking the water on a kind of wraparound porch and even had a little candlelight to eat by. It was really good food too (for seafood). And we are pretty sure we saw a manatee coming up out of the water while we ate. After that we walked around the town a little bit and just looked in windows because most places were closed by that time. We walked past a wax museum and this was in the window:


I thought this was appropriate for Natalie's wedding weekend.

We also got a glimpse of Castillo de San Marcos, which is an old Spanish fort located downtown and was featured on an episode of the Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures. I have to admit I was a little excited to see this - my friend/co-worker Kelly has me hooked on this show.

The next morning we went to the beach. Unfortunately, this is where my camera battery died and I did not pack the charger, so I was unable to take any more pictures after this point except for a few with my phone. But I did get some cute shots of Bailey at the beach for the first time.









Here is a short video. Sorry it's sideways. I have another one but I'm having trouble uploading it.




The only mishap that we had was late Friday afternoon - on the way to the wedding rehearsal we got rear-ended while we were stopped at a redlight just a few blocks from the wedding site. It was a relatively hard hit, enough to throw both Phillip and me back against the seat and give us both a bit of a sore neck. But otherwise we were all fine, just a little shaken up. Amazingly, the only damage on our car was a tiny scratch on the back bumper. The other guy's car was already banged up all over. The cop said "Um, sir? Can you show me which damage is from this accident?" He couldn't.

We called the police to file an accident report (my first time calling 911), so by the time they got there and finished writing up the report, we had missed the rehearsal. So we just went on to dinner with everyone at Bono's BBQ and then to play putt putt with Natalie and her family, where I must say I played one of the best putt putt games of my life (still didn't win - I think I came in third). After that we went on a ghost tour around the old town.

St. Augustine is the oldest town in the U.S. and is said to be the third most most haunted, so needless to say the town capitalizes on this. The ghost tours abound at night. We went on a trolley tour, which was really just three noisy open air buses hooked together (not a trolley on a track - aren't trolleys usually on tracks?). It was a little hard for me to hear what the tour guide was saying over the squeaks of the trolley every time we turned a corner or hit a bump so I think I missed a lot. If nothing else it was a nice tour of the old town. I did take a few pictures with my phone to see if I could capture any apparitions. (I think I've been watching too much Ghost Adventures.)

Here are some pictures from the ghost tour and also just from our wanderings around town throughout the weekend:


Not a great picture, but this is the museum where the wedding took place.

People say they have seen the ghost of a man on this hotel balcony.


Bailey and me at Castillo de San Marcos

Castillo de San Marcos



208-foot tall cross at a mission

You might think that is a ghost in the upper window, but it's just a mannequin. Kinda creepy though, huh?

An old cemetary in town





B having a drink at the cemetary

The wedding was Saturday night at the Lightner Museum. It was a small wedding with just family and a few close friends. Natalie and I have been good friends since 2002. We both went to Louisiana College but didn't meet until we went to London together for the semester in the fall of that year. We were roommates for 1-1/2 years after that, until I graduated. We have shared many laughs and made many fond memories together. Her parents live in Kingwood, about 30 minutes from me, but Natalie moved to Atlanta a couple of years ago. That's where she met her hunny. She is one of the best people I know and I am so happy that she has found happiness with her new husband! Everything was perfect and definitely had Natalie written all over it. I have a few pictures from my phone, but I wish I had been able to get more with my real camera. Hopefully I can get some from Natalie and her photographer.

Since their last name is Mason, she got little Mason jars and filled them with gumballs and used them as table decorations. Isn't that cute?

My bridesmaid bouquet


Another cute idea

The happy couple

Nat's bouquet


As favors, Natalie got these clappers. They say "We go hand in hand." We all clapped these when Natalie and Kevin walked outside to their SHORT BUS LIMO. Yes, an actual short bus that someone converted into a limousine. Kevin is a comedian on the side, and the name of his comedy group is Short Bus Heroes Comedy. She surprised him with this. It was a big hit.

Bailey loved the clapper and played with it all the way back to the hotel.
She cried when I tried to take her picture with it though.

One last picture of the weekend - on the plane ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment